The Ark of the Covenant is a sacred object in Jewish and Christian tradition. The Ark of the Covenant was a physical representation of God among the Jewish nation. The Jews are considered God’s chosen people and when Moses led them to the Promise Land, God had given them the Ark while they made the journey. The erection of the Ark of the Covenant is placed on the Bible Timeline around 1445 BC.
The Ark of the Covenant is more than just a material object that represents God, his power and his deity. The Israelites carried the Ark ahead of their group as they trekked through the wilderness for over 40 years. Since the Israelites did not have any permanent structures they didn’t have a temple to worship God. One of the reasons why God sent them the ark was so that they could be reminded that it was God who was constantly providing for and taking care of them. The ark was carried when they went into battle and it was used to house the Ten Commandments given to Moses by God.
Quickly See 6000 Years of Bible and World History Together
Unique Circular Format – see more in less space.
Learn facts that you can’t learn just from reading the bible
Attractive design ideal for your home, office, church …
God had given Moses certain instructions for building the Ark. God told Moses that the Jewish people were supposed to construct the ark out of wood. Once the wooden part of the ark was erected they would then cover the inside with gold as well as the outside. The Ark was also to have a crown of gold and rings of gold as well. The staves were supposed to be made from wood and covered with gold. These staves were used to carry the Ark.
In the book of Revelation, readers are given a snapshot of the ark as it is seen in heaven. In this particular book of the Bible, heaven opens up during end time events and the Ark of the Covenant can be seen in heaven. This is important to know because the Ark of the Covenant is patterned after God’s temple in heaven. This is an important point as to why God gave the Israelites specific instructions about how to build the ark.
The Ark of the Covenant was used by the Israelites during their many battles. When Joshua was in charge of the Israelites, the ark was used in the process of defeating Israel’s enemies at Jericho. When the ark was used by the Israelites God’s power had manifested through it as a sign that he would fight for them or give them the ability to overcome their enemies.
Israel’s most famous king, David, wanted to build God a temple, but God didn’t allow him. Even though the Lord was pleased with David’s request. The king had shed too much blood for God to allow him to complete the task. This is why King Solomon was left with the task of building the temple to house the ark.
Once Solomon had constructed the ark it rested there up until the time the Babylonians destroyed the temple in 586 B.C. After this point, no one on Earth is absolutely sure about the whereabouts of the ark. What actually happened to this religious relic is the subject of debate, mystery and controversy.
- Exodus 25 outlines the instructions that God gives to Moses for building and decorating the ark.
- Exodus 26:33 Gives specific instructions for keeping the ark contained in the Holy of Holies
- Exodus 30:6 the ark is called the Ark of Testimony.
- Exodus 30:26 the ark is anointed with sacred oil.
- Numbers 10:33 the ark is supposed to be carried by the Israelites on their journeys.
- Numbers 14:43 the ark is called a symbol of God’s presence and glory.
- Deuteronomy 10:8 the ark is only supposed to be carried by the Levite Priests.
- Deuteronomy 31:26 is the verse in the Bible that God commands Moses to place the two broken tablets that contain a copy of the law inside of the ark.
- Joshua 4:7 the ark divides the Jordan River.
- Joshua 6: 6-20 used in the process of destroying the walls of Jericho.
- 1 King 8: 1-6 the ark is brought to Solomon’s Temple.
- Psalms 40:8 the ark is considered a type of Christ.
- Revelation 11:19 the ark is patterned after God’s temple in heaven.