The word Cush means black. Biblically, Cush is the son of Ham and father of Nimrod. He is considered the ancestor of the dark-skinned people that occupied Ethiopia. His name is often associated with Ethiopia, but there are some who are still sceptical about it. Cush first appears on the Biblical Timeline after the Flood. Place. In the Old Testament, Cush usually refers to the countries in the south where the children of Cush, Ham’s son lived. Many assumed that Cush consisted of Arabia and the country of the west coast of the Red Sea since it was linked with the southern limit of Egypt. It’s associated with Elam, Persia and the Sabeans. However, there are some indications that Cush also existed in Africa or Ethiopia.
Ethiopia, situated at the Horn of Africa is a landlocked country bordered by Sudan on the west, Somalia and Djibouti on the east, Kenya on the south, and Eritrea on the north. Today, Ethiopia is known as Nubia and Abyssinia. But until now, questions regarding the border between Ethiopia and Eritrea and even the exact location of the boundary along Sudan have not been settled.
Ethiopia: the Modern Cush
Ethiopia, a largely pastoral society has suffered drought since 1969. The persistent dry weather resulted in famine, hunger, and death. An aerial map showed the eastern part of the country dry with drought while the western half looked green with crops flourished by rain. On February 2011, there were reportedly areas in Ethiopia asking for assistance because of the lack of rain, a state predicted to continue until the arrival of the rainy season on October. A supply of water was sent by trucks.
Quickly See 6000 Years of Bible and World History Together
Unique Circular Format – see more in less space.
Learn facts that you can’t learn just from reading the bible
Attractive design ideal for your home, office, church …
In a settlement area at the north of Dire Dawa town, one of the most affected by drought, people can’t stay outside where temperatures went beyond 104 F (40 degrees Celsius.) Aside from famine, political problems, and war, the country has also faced large numbers of migrant refugees since the 1980s. The Eritrean-Ethiopian War from 1998-2000, because of disagreement over the border, badly affected the economy. And in March of 2011, thousands of Christians in the west of Ethiopia has to vacate their houses when the Muslim extremist group Kawarja burned their houses and churches. The Muslims occupied more than 30 percent of the total population, and in a country where Muslims and Christians used to live together in harmony. The increasing incidents of anti-Christian aggression were quite disturbing. And with all that, a small area of the country is faced with hundreds of Eritreans refugees. Around 800-1000 Eritrean refugees arrive every month, greatly surpassing the existing resources of Ethiopia for refugees.
What Part of the Bible Mentions Cush?
- Genesis 10:6, 1 Chronicles 1:8. Cush, Mizraim, Phut and Canaan as the descendants of Ham.
- 1 Chronicles 1:10. Cush as the father of the “mighty warrior”, Nimrod.
- Numbers 12:1. Moses married a Cushite woman.
- Jeremiah 46:9. The armies of Cush and Phut handling the shield.
- Psalm 68:31. Cush “bow in submission to God”.
- Genesis 2:13. The River Gihon flowing through and around the land of Cush.
- Isaiah 11:11. Cush as one of the nations where Lord recovered the “remnant of his people”.
- Isaiah 45:14. Cush associated with the Sabeans.
- Ezekiel 29:10. Cush was located at the south border of Egypt.
- Ezekiel 38:5. Cush and Phut supported Gog.
- Esther 1:1. King Xerxes ruled the provinces from India to Cush.
- Isaiah 20:4. The King of Assyria disgraced Egypt by exposing the buttocks of the “Egyptian captives and the Cushite exiles”.
- Nahum 3:9. Phut and the Libyans allied along with Cush and Egpyt.
- Jeremiah 46:9. Cush and Phut supported Egypt.
- Ezekiel 30:5. Cush and Phut supported Egypt.
- Unique circular format - over 1,000 references at your fingertips on this wonderful study companion
- Discover interesting facts - Biblical events with scripture references plotted alongside world history showcase fun chronological relationships
- Attractive, easy to use design - People will stop to look at and talk about this beautifully laid out Jesus history timeline poster ideal for your home, office, church ... Click here to find out more about this unique and fun Bible study tool!
41 thoughts on “Cush”
I purchased the chart and it is good. I like the alphabetical listing and information.
Kush was located in what is now Sudan. There is a lot of archeological evidence, statues, pyramids, large cities, that are being excavated, showing that the Kushites were a large empire—larger than Egypt. At one time it ruled Egypt. (Cush is a European translation.)
Kush is Ancient Ethiopia and Ancient Ethiopia is now called, Africa, name by colonist. Before the Colonist lootings, it was named Kemet.
This was very interesting, I have learned that african American’s descendant from Cush in biblical times.
(Ethiopia) Cush is presentday Sudan, not the contry of Ethipia
It’s still the contenient of Africa (Kemet)
It could have been more helpful if the write puts more information that could educate further the readers of this article about Cush. I am from Ethiopia & debates are rise on the issues of cushitic & Semitics who take the dominant part of the country.
First there were Hamitic-Kushites in Ethiopia. Sheba’s original bloodline. Afterwards, there became pockets of Hamitic mixed with Sematic tribes in Ancient Ethiopia due to Minalik, Sheba and Semitic Solomon off spring. Therefore, the original people of Ancient Ethiopa were Hamitic, pre Sheba/Solomon via Kush with a small integration of the Semitic bloodline, post Sheba/Solomon via Minalik. Due to races taking the bloodline of the father, some Ethiopias consider themselves to be Semitic origin and completely disowning the majestic ancient heritage of their Hamitic blood. Additionally, since the Semitic descendants are part of the world’s mainstream, claiming such origin is much easier.
Ethiopian sudan were the same area in acient times
Why want this page give us how cush in the Bible died?
The Old Testament (as it is called) is just Jewish Oral History passes down and written, though it contains the word and traditions of Jewish Religions. It’s not the definitive history of its time. Many other periods of that time also recorded history. Archeology and science have done the heavy lifting of bringing it all together, including the massive cultures in South and Central American that has pyramids and stone structures around that time. Just internet search. Here is a start. https://www.nationalgeographic.com/history/magazine/2016/11-12/ancient-egypt-nubian-kingdom-pyramids-sudan/
The Bible is not oral history, it is a literal account given to prophets by God Himself or through first hand experiences, anything contrary to that is inaccurate and false. Don’t try to discredit the Bible with mythical science.
Ethiopian sudan were the same area in acient times
Do you people not think it’s insane that the modern church pushes the idea that Noah had three sons of three different races? This is stupid. All Noah’s sons and grandsons were white people, predominantly pheomelinated with red hair / blond hair and blue / green eyes. I don’t believe in genetic superiority or anything, how could we even discern and measure such a thing. But history is history. The first setter’s of Ethiopia, or Cush, were white people, the descendants of Noah. And yes, Cush incorporated both where modern day Ethiopia/Somalia is plus the western bank of Arabia. This place was also sometimes referred to as the land of Punt, but this may be a pre-flood reference. The post flood Sumerians and Egyptians discussed trade with these nations… the people were like them, white skinned, they were considered brother races and for some reason they really disliked black people even forbidding them to enter their lands unless they had been royally sanctioned to act as merchants. These merchants sold other blacks into slavery under the Egyptians.
This isn’t really a race debate… but I love and respect history and hate when I see people misrepresenting facts for the sake of playing nice and not excluding people… if it wasn’t them, it wasn’t them, I don’t see why this is so offensive to people. If you study the linguistics, archeology, ancient historical records, and mythologies then everything I have written here becomes blatantly obvious,
Thanks for listening.
Don’t know where you get that information Jon.cush falls into northern Sudan.ethiopia was seba or saba.there was a place called Ethiopia in modern day Sudan which a part of Abyssinia.in 4th century an Ethiopian king absorbed Christianity he felt proud that the word Ethiopia or cush written many places in Bible so he changed the name to Ethiopia.ethiopians fall in semetic and hamatic sub racial group division.in Ethiopian history there was not white man green eyed population.ethiopia has a well documented history.we know were we come from.even the Greeks wrote a lot about ethiopia.
Cushes family stretched over all Territory that both of you discussed.
How ever from the fragment of Noah, Noah did have skin white as snow and he was red as a blooming rose, locs white and his eyes lit up the whole house….etc.. Study for yourself
His sons were of color as well yet color doesnt matter, because people can become many shades.Thats a GOD THING
Yet: Hams name meant hot or to enflame ones self. Could be from his behavior and color as well.
Japheth would be our European, Ashkenazi, France, Russia, what we call “white” side of the family, going in to the caucaus mountains and so forth. Thats were you get lighter red skin, plus the intermarriages that took place between immediate family and cousins of Ham and Shem.
As well as genetics plagued with leprosy that caused ones skin , and his seed after him to possess the skin color as well.
Shem was more of what Nas the rapper calls “Asiatic Black Man” . although those are just titles it gives a reference to were most Shemites (Semites) dwelled (Also see Book From Babylon to Timbuktu “The study of the Black Race and the Black Hebrews)
Hebrews are Shemites, Hebrew comes from the word and Man Eber.
Throughout History all have mingled and yes Solomon (Shemite) did mix with (Hamitic) Sheba of Ethiopia (= Cush) yet if his sons bloodline continues that would make the strength of the pedigree, if male, descedendants of Shem as well as show forth the POWER OF YASHAYA THE MESSIAH TO UNITE ALL HOUSES BACK UNDER THE FATHER OF HEAVEN.
Noah was albino according to many Jewish text.
Please Jon do your research properly…
What’s historical evidence of such occurrences, and of racial classification of Noah and his offspring?
No it is not a race debate. Jon, where are you getting your information from. You do not provide links to back it up.Evidence comes from the first non-African eyewitnesses. All the ancient Greek and Roman Historian scholars described the ancient Egyptians as “black” and compared them to looking exactly like the Ethiopians.
2. From the Greek perspective, Ethiopian equals “black” and/or “black African” or “sub-Saharan Africa.” So, to even consider ancient Egyptians to be non-black before 1640 BC, one would have to declare the writings of ancient historians to be false.
3. Men such as Herodotus, Diodorus Siculus, Aristotle, Apollodorus, Ammianus Marcellinus, Lucian Lycinus, among others during a span of more than 1,000 years (since these ancient writers did not live during the same centuries) described the ancient Egyptians as looking like Ethiopians with black skin.
4. Many ancient Historians agreed. The Ancient Greek historian Herodotus, who visited Egypt in the 5th century B.C.E., saw the Egyptians face to face and described them as black-skinned with woolly hair, in his writings. Excerpt from Herodotus – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/He….
5. Herodotus said the people of North Africa,East Africa,Arabia,palestine-Israel all the way over to India were Ethiopians-the word Ethiopian was a word greeks used for black people.
6. The Roman Historian Tacitus was a European (Roman) historian, and he is often quoted as a credible source of history. Tacitus lived from (55 A.D. – 117 A.D.), which overlaps the life of the apostle Paul, who was believed to have died in 64 A.D.
7. The Roman Historian Tacitus 56 – 125AD said in his Book of Histories, that they (the Romans) believed that the Jews were descended from the Ethiopians. The Jews were frequently mistaken for Egyptians. Original Jews were brownish. http://classics.mit.edu/Tacitus/histories.html
8. Hebrews come from the tribe of Eber. Eber married Azurad, King Nimrod’s daughter, cushite. Their 2 kids became Shemite and cushite. The original Jews were brownish in color. Think what happens if you put white creme into black coffee…it turns mocha colored depending on how much creme is added.
9. In the Book of Jubilees chapter 8. …..And she bare him a son in the fifth year [1503 A.M.] thereof, and he called his name Eber: and he took unto himself a wife, and her name was ‘Azûrâd, the daughter of Nebrod, in the thirty-second jubilee, in the seventh week, in the third year thereof. [1564 A.M.]
10. Egyptologist, Count Constantine de Volney (1727-1820),spoke about the race of the Egyptians that produced the Pharaohs. He later paid tribute to Herodotus’ discovery when he said:
The ancient Egyptians were true Negroes of the same type as all native born Africans.
11. Jean-François Champollion ( 23 December 1790 – 4 March 1832) was a French scholar and Orientalist, known primarily as the decipherer of Egyptian hieroglyphs and a founding figure in the field of Egyptology.
12. in 1839, Jean-François Champollion stated in his work “ Egypte Ancienne “ that the Egyptians and Nubians are represented in the same manner in tomb paintings and reliefs, further suggesting that: “In the Copts of Egypt, we do not find any of the characteristic features of the ancient Egyptian population. The Copts are the result of crossbreeding with all the nations that successfully dominated Egypt. It is wrong to seek in them the principal features of the old race.”
13. The Orient, the Liberal Movement, and the Eastern Crisis of 1839-41
14. Historians Diodorus Siculus flat out said Egypt was a colony of Ethiopia (which incidentally makes sense as the first humans would be from central East Africa and would migrate north among other directions).
15. Historian Herodotus wrote around 425 BCE. Diodorus Siculus wrote in 49 BCE. http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Tha…
16. There is a Bust of Pharaoh Huni from 3rd dynasty. Huni – Wikipedia
Pharaoh Taharqa -King of Cush then King of Egypt. Notice he wears 2 serpents on his head. One for Egypt , One for Cush.
17. 9. Gamal Abdel Nasser was the 2nd president in Egypt in 1956. Nasser said” There will never be peace in the Middle East because Jews came out of Egypt black and went into Israel white.
10. Nasser went on television and radio in the 50’s and stated to the Askenazi “Jews have left Black and returned White, you are impostors and shall never see peace” He was speaking about European Jews. This comes from the book , “How the Hebrews became Jews” by Joseì V. Malcioln
Valvacious…a wealth of information. Thanks! Going to dig deep with this.
Thanks for your ocean of information. We know to this day people are still playing the race game to show their superiority, which is a stupid attempt. First of all, there is ONLY ONE RACE, the human race. Out of all respect I have never seen where the Bible mentions a” white race”. For those who are playing the color card, can they tell us what is the original color? Scientifically speaking everyone knows that the white color CANNOT PRODUCE any other color. So if our fist parents were created “white” where do the other colors come from? It is like pretending they are not God’s creatures. Was the Garden of Eden located in Europe (with white pretention of superiority) or in the location called Middle east which is part of AFRICA>)
I am a a northern Somali from the land of punt and I assure u we as ethnic ancient noble cushitic Somalis have nothing to do with indo European Neanderthals who aren’t even mentioned in the bible
Linguistic historical genetic and archeological evidence shows and evidences that Somalis are not just the purest cushites today but that we are also a hamitic population related to other north east Africans such as the berbers of Algeria and the ancient Egyptians thr Beja of north Sudan the tigray and afar of Eritrea and Ethiopia
We know who we are and who our ancestors are and were
We are the only other people in the world along with arabs who memoride their full genealogy as a cultural norm
We ain’t white cud that implies affinity and kinship with indo Europeans a meagre recent language family originated by backward cave dwelling pagan worshiping rudimentary people that’s the ancestors of Europeans
My ancestors are noble enlightened people from the natufians who taught humanity farming and domestjcsting animals to the ancient Egyptians the land of punt and macrobian kingdom in not
Northern somalia and being descended from havilah son of cush son of ham son of Noah
No blacks whites or asians can claim this as these groups are distant to use and are geographical not ethnic
Only cudhites and their related kin the arabs Jews etc can claim this history and even eith the Jews only those who are truly from the tribes of Israel or st least have Jewish autosomal DNA markers
May the eyes of your understanding be enlightened!
Where did you start? Where they the mixed blood of Moors and Caucasians?
Explain better please
White is a Mutation, Are Cushites Ethiopians and Somalis Caucasoid people I do not reject that notion but to say that they went there with blue eyes and blond hair is a reach. Science proves that you do not gain melanin, you lose melanin because it is a dominant gene. I would believe the opposite, that Noah’s sons were all dark skin and lost their melanin as they traveled north or west and those that stayed closer to the equator kept their melanin.
You are lost
You might need to stop binge watching the little mermaid,you don’t seem to know the difference between Disneyland and reality.
It’s a shame really.
There were literally 8 souls left on earth after the flood, where do the rest of the other races come from, why are the names of the patriarchs given to places/countries? Why does the account of Noah distinguish between the three sons and the blessings and curses differ? Have you actually studied scripture? I doubt it, you wouldn’t assume that they were if you had. No true Bible believer quantifies biblical facts with false records of history which contradict the Bible, you’re thinking from your flesh, and not the Holy Spirit.
Jon you have never traveled have you
Somtimes the truth hurts jon
After the flood, Noah’s descendants repopulated the entire planet. How do you propose the other races came into existence?
Jon, you can get many colors out of Black, not so with white…. case closed
I love this discussion and both sides are well represented…
White is the outcome of the colours of the rainbow but did you know that black and white aren’t real colours….ask any artist!
Jon, remember, we have no specific knowledge what color Noah was or his sons or his wife or sons wives. Among them there are five possible genetic histories. Only God knows for sure what they were. Besides, as others here have already said, the entire earth was repopulated by the descendants of these eight people. Regardless of what color Noah and his sons and wives were they held the genes that gave rise to all peoples on the earth today whether white, black, yellow, brown and all shades in between. Before God we are all one race the human race, His creation. Our color matters not. Our spiritual status before God is what is important. Are we following Christ or not! Have you heard the Gospel, believed it, repented of your sins, confessed Christ before men and been baptized for the remission of those sins and living as he has commanded us? If not, you need to or prepare for eternity in hell.
Its Ethiopia, Sudan and Nubia….google a map of Genesis 10….AKA the table of Nations
kush is believed to be the ancestor of the great ijo people of Nigeria and other parts of Africa.